It’s that time again people, summer is around the corner and so are a cornucopia of films to be released during that time. If you are new to the summer movie wager, here’s how it works, This is a contest where players rank the top 10, wide domestic, opening weekend, box-office grossing films of the summer season, in order and 3 “Dark Horses” - films you think *might* make the top ten, but aren't confident enough to put into the top 10 proper. This year, the dates are between May 2nd to August 30th. Only those films released during the summer season are eligible, only films released in the United States and only the money they gross during their opening weekend counts. The list below are all the eligible movies.
Here’s how the scoring system works;
Getting number 1 or number 10 dead-on gets you 13 points (each).
10 points for numbers 2-9 dead-on
7 points if your pick was only one spot away from where it ended up
5 points if it was two spots away
3 points if your pick is anywhere in the Top 10
1 point for each dark horse pick that makes it into the Top 10
The scoring is tabulated so that you get the SINGLE HIGHEST point value for each pick. That is, if you get number ten right, you don’t get 13+3, you only get 13.
Don’t worry I keep track of the scoring so you don’t have to!
A few last things to cover;
- Sometimes movies that are scheduled to be released during the eligible period get pulled by the studios or rescheduled. Most recent example of this was in 2012 when G.I. Joe was bumped from a summer release to a March 2013 release, long after people had already submitted picks and the pool was under way.
-Some movies will be released on a Wednesday, when this happens, it will have a total of 5 days counting towards its opening weekend total.
-You will have until May 15th to enter your final submission, There are no substitutions allowed once the entries are official.
-You may submit your entries a number of ways, on our Facebook Fan Page, our Twitter @MissionStartP, or leave them as a comment below. I will also be accepting submissions through me email at ChubRock3000@Gmail.com.
-I will be doing an update on May 16th of all the lists I received, upon that posting, all submissions are final.
Ok then, On to the movies!
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
- Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return
- Mom's Night Out
- Godzilla (3D/2D theaters and IMAX)
- Million Dollar Arm
- X-Men: Days of Future Past
- A Million Ways to Die in the West
- Maleficent (3D/2D theaters)
- Edge of Tomorrow (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
- The Fault in Our Stars
- Obvious Child
- 22 Jump Street
- How to Train Your Dragon 2 (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
- Jersey Boys
- Think Like a Man Too
- Transformers: Age of Extinction (2D theaters and IMAX)
- Deliver Us From Evil
- Earth to Echo
- Begin Again
- And So It Goes...
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- The Fluffy Movie
- Jupiter Ascending (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
- Planes: Fire & Rescue (3D/2D theaters)
- The Purge: Anarchy
- Sex Tape
- Step Up All In (3D/2D theaters)
- Get on Up
- Guardians of the Galaxy (3D/2D theaters and IMAX 3D)
- The Hundred-Foot Journey
- Into the Storm (2D theaters and IMAX)
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Let's Be Cops
- As Above, So Below
- Desert Dancer
- The Expendables 3
- The Giver
- Life After Beth
- Frank Miller's Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
- If I Stay
- When the Game Stands Tall
- November Man
- The Loft
Well that's all the films coming out. Make your selections and send them my way. Good luck and have fun!